Friday, May 27, 2016

The Oroquin has arrived



One look at these huge pills and I knew Blue was going to, as we say in the horse world, Have None Of It.

20 years with a horse will give you this kind of insight and foreshadowing.

We crushed up the pills and stuck it in some feed. I poured some syrup over it and mixed it well, letting it soak up the powder. And I fed it to Blue.

And he sniffed it, and looked at it, and stepped in it. He flipped over the feed tub. I put treats in it, so he picked all those out and flipped the tub again.

Thanks, Blue.

Eventually we gave up on the camouflaged powder in the feed trick and dissolved another two pills in some water (ground up first, not water soluble) and put it in a dose syringe. And Brad the Barn Owner (or Cowboy Brad, as my kids call him) did the deed.

I scooped up the refused feed and I hope to put it in his regular feed little by little so he gets the dose. If he still refuses, I'll ask my vet about the possibility of getting just one dose.

Nothing about EPM is easy! Ugh!

This is the face of an old, spoiled horse who refuses to eat his life-saving medicine:

No comments:

Post a Comment